Why Men Shut Down During Conflict: Childhood Narratives and the Nervous System
Why Men Shut Down During Conflict: Childhood Narratives and the Nervous System
Conflict can bring out reactions in us that seem bigger than the moment itself.
A partner asks a simple question and suddenly you feel criticized. A disagreement begins and you find yourself getting defensive, angry, quiet, or wanting to leave the room. You may know intellectually that the situation is manageable, yet your body seems to react before you have had time to think.
In my work providing men’s therapy in Los Angeles, I often see this pattern in men who are successful, capable, and used to handling pressure, but find themselves shutting down, getting defensive, or becoming overwhelmed during relationship conflict.
For many men, the reaction is not only about what is happening in the present.
Shutting down, withdrawing, becoming defensive, getting angry, or immediately trying to “fix” the problem can be ways of protecting ourselves when the nervous system senses a threat. Sometimes that perceived threat is connected to a much older childhood narrative—an internal story about being rejected, not being good enough, having to stay in control, or needing to handle everything alone.
Those old narratives can become activated quickly, affecting both our emotions and our nervous system before we fully understand what is happening.
The Story Beneath the Reaction
We all develop beliefs about ourselves, relationships, and the world based partly on our early experiences.
Those beliefs can become internal narratives such as:
- “I’m not good enough.”
- “I’m going to disappoint someone.”
- “If I show weakness, I’ll get hurt.”
- “I have to handle everything myself.”
- “People eventually leave.”
- “My feelings are too much.”
- “I have to be successful to be valued.”
These narratives are not necessarily thoughts we consciously repeat to ourselves every day. Often they operate beneath the surface.
Then something happens in an adult relationship that touches the old story.
Your partner says, “You never listen to me,” and instead of hearing only the concern being expressed, another message may register internally:
“I’m failing again.”
Someone seems disappointed in you and the nervous system hears:
“I’m not good enough.”
Your partner wants greater emotional closeness and something inside responds:
“This isn't safe. Pull back.”
The present-day disagreement may be real, but the intensity of your reaction can be influenced by experiences and meanings that began much earlier.
Your Nervous System Can React Before Your Thinking Brain Catches Up
When we feel emotionally threatened, the nervous system can move into protection very quickly.
For one person, that may look like fighting—anger, defensiveness, arguing, or trying to regain control.
For another, it may mean withdrawing—becoming quiet, emotionally distant, avoiding the conversation, or physically leaving.
Others may freeze, feel overwhelmed, or have difficulty finding words.
This is one reason simply telling yourself to “calm down” is not always effective. Your rational mind may understand that you are having a disagreement with someone you love, while your body is responding as though something much more threatening is happening.
The goal is not to eliminate emotions or never become triggered.
The goal is to become better at recognizing what is being activated inside you before the automatic reaction takes over.
Why Men Often Shut Down
Many men have learned, directly or indirectly, that strength means staying in control.
You solve problems. You handle pressure. You keep moving.
But relationships often require something different.
They require us to tolerate uncertainty, acknowledge hurt, express fear, listen without immediately defending ourselves, and sometimes admit that we do not know what to do.
For a man who learned early in life that vulnerability was unsafe, weakness was unacceptable, or emotions were better kept private, relationship conflict can activate a powerful protective response.
Instead of saying:
“I feel hurt.”
he becomes angry.
Instead of:
“I'm afraid I'm disappointing you.”
he defends himself.
Instead of:
“I don't know what to say right now.”
he shuts down.
From the outside, this can look like indifference.
From the inside, it may actually be overload.
Ask a Different Question
When you notice yourself becoming defensive, angry, anxious, or withdrawn, try moving beyond:
“Why am I so upset?”
and ask:
“What is getting triggered in me right now?”
Then go a little deeper:
“What does this situation mean to me?”
“What am I afraid will happen?”
“What old story about myself is being activated?”
“Does my reaction belong entirely to this moment, or does some of it feel familiar from earlier in my life?”
These questions create space between the trigger and the response.
That space is where change becomes possible.
The Childhood Narrative Isn't About Blaming Your Childhood
Understanding childhood narratives does not mean blaming your parents or explaining every adult difficulty through the past.
It means recognizing that the ways we learned to protect ourselves once made sense.
A boy who learned that showing emotion brought criticism may become an adult who keeps everything inside.
Someone who experienced inconsistency may become especially sensitive to rejection.
A child who received approval primarily through achievement may grow into a highly successful adult who still feels deeply threatened by failure.
Those strategies may have helped us adapt earlier in life.
The problem occurs when an old protective strategy continues operating automatically in situations where it is no longer helping us.
From Automatic Reaction to Intentional Response
One of the most useful skills men can develop is learning to notice activation before acting on it.
When you feel yourself escalating or shutting down:
Notice the body first.
Tight chest. Faster heartbeat. Jaw tension. Restlessness. Heat. An urge to escape.
Identify the emotion.
Is it actually anger—or is there fear, embarrassment, rejection, disappointment, shame, or hurt underneath?
Identify the narrative.
What story has your mind attached to this moment?
Return to the present.
Ask yourself whether the current situation truly carries the same danger your nervous system is responding to.
Communicate instead of disappearing.
Sometimes something as simple as:
“I can feel myself getting defensive. I want to understand what you're saying, but I need a minute to settle down.”
can completely change the direction of a difficult conversation.
That is not weakness.
It is emotional regulation.
Grounded Openness
This idea is central to what I call Grounded Openness.
Being emotionally open does not mean losing your strength, boundaries, confidence, or identity.
It means becoming grounded enough in yourself that you do not have to automatically defend against difficult emotions.
You can experience vulnerability without being consumed by it.
You can hear criticism without immediately deciding that you are a failure.
You can remain present during conflict without either attacking or disappearing.
You can understand where your reactions come from while still taking responsibility for how you respond today.
That is often where stronger relationships begin.
Men's Therapy Can Help Identify the Pattern Beneath the Problem
In my work with men, the presenting problem is not always the deeper problem.
A man may initially come to therapy because of anger, anxiety, relationship conflict, career pressure, low confidence, or emotional distance.
As we begin looking underneath those experiences, we may find recurring patterns involving attachment, childhood narratives, nervous-system activation, fear of rejection, performance pressure, or difficulty tolerating vulnerability.
Understanding those patterns does not mean endlessly analyzing the past.
The purpose is to better understand what is happening now so you have more choice about what happens next.
I provide men's therapy in West Los Angeles for men dealing with relationships, anxiety, communication difficulties, confidence, emotional regulation, attachment patterns, career pressure, and major life transitions. I also offer telehealth therapy throughout California.
The goal is not to become a different person.
It is to understand yourself well enough that old narratives no longer have to control present-day relationships.
You can open your heart without losing yourself.
Interested in Men's Therapy?
If you are noticing recurring patterns of shutting down, anger, anxiety, relationship conflict, or emotional disconnection, therapy can provide a place to better understand what is driving those reactions.
Todd Deutsch, LMFT
Complete Game Plan
Men's Therapy • Couples Counseling • Men's Support Group
West Los Angeles + Telehealth throughout California

Comments
Post a Comment